DHS Creates Database To Track Journalists, Bloggers, "Media Influencers", Calls Critics "Conspiracy Theorists"
The branch of homeland safety (DHS) desires to tune the large networks of journalists, bloggers and other “media influencers” through a large, searchable database a good way to enable them to computer screen “any and all” traits in precise time, in response to a publicly posted job checklist.
apparently the NSA does not share their toys with DHS…
The DHS “Media Monitoring” initiative is presently in quest of a contractor who can give DHS with the capacity to music over 290,000 international information sources in additional than 100 languages – together with online, print, bradcast, cable, radio, alternate and trade publications, natural news sources and social media structures.
“capabilities shall provide media comparison tools, design and rebranding equipment, communication tools, and the means to determine accurate media influencers,” according to the job call, so as to aid DHS corporations fulfill “a essential deserve to contain these services into their classes with a purpose to more desirable reach federal, state, native, tribal, and private partners.”
The branch’s “commentary of labor for Media Monitoring services” requires right here:
online & Social Media Monitoring
capacity to tune global online sources for insurance relevant to Washington and the six media hubs:
• capacity to music > 290,000 global information sources
• potential to song on-line, print, broadcast, cable, radio, alternate and industry publications, local sources, countrywide/international retailers, normal information sources, and social media
• ability to music media coverage in > 100 languages, including Arabic, chinese and Russian. Translation characteristic to instantly translate these articles to English.
• means to create up to twenty searches with each and every limitless key phrases
• limitless coverage per search (no cap on insurance)
• ability to exchange the searches at key words at any given time
• means to create unlimited data tracking, statistical breakdown, and graphical analyses on any coverage on an advert-hoc groundwork
Database of journalists, editors, correspondents, social media influencers, bloggers, etc.
The chosen contractor have to be in a position to strengthen a “password protected, media influencer database” which could operate searches in quite a lot of languages, and present contact details and another assistance that can be relevat, together with publications that this influencer writes for, and an outline of the previous cvoverage published via the media influencer.”
Media Intelligence and Benchmarking Dashboard Platform
The vendor ought to deliver a really good “Dashboard” for DHS to make use of so they can deliver them with a specialized search engine, precise time monitoring, evaluation and benchmark of media coverage (how viral something goes, as an instance), geographical unfold, and appropriate influencers.
24/7 entry to a password included, on-line platform for clients to access:
• Overview of search outcomes in terms of online articles and social media conversations
• custom-made and Interactive Dashboard that give precise-time monitoring, analysis, and benchmark of media coverage.
• capacity to research the media coverage when it comes to content material, quantity, sentiment, geographical unfold, good publications, media channels, attain, AVE, exact posters, influencers, languages, momentum, circulation.
• means to opt for time-length of evaluation: per day, week, month, and chosen dates
• means to construct media lists in keeping with beat, vicinity, outlet type/dimension, and journalist function
• computerized weekly overview of those dashboards sent by means of e mail
DHS additionally requires entry to a “password covered, mobile app” permitting entry to the entire gathered metrics and monitoring assistance.
No observe on whether DHS has commissioned a database of MSM connections to institution politicians, however we’re certain it is on its method.
DHS calls critics “conspiracy theorists”
in accordance with what many suggest are Orwellian monitoring of media influencers, DHS Press Secretary Tyler Houlton issued a response on Friday which justifies the program’s legitimacy and alleges that the mission’s desires are “commonplace apply.”
“Any recommendation in any other case is healthy for tinfoil hat-wearing, black-helicopter conspiracy theorists,” introduced Houlton.
despite what some journalists may indicate, here’s nothing more than the typical observe of monitoring current routine within the media. Any recommendation otherwise is healthy for tin foil hat wearing, black helicopter conspiracy theorists. https://t.co/XGgFFH3Ppl
— Tyler Q. Houlton (@SpoxDHS) April 6, 2018
Absent blindly trusting Houlton, we now have been given no indication as to how the Trump administration – or future administrations, might use the massive monitoring database. The Bloomberg article points to the Senate’s recent activity in designating Al Jazeera as a overseas agent ” because it “frequently without delay undermines” U.S. pastimes with favorable insurance of Hamas, Hezbollah and al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria,” despite the fact we’re bound the U.S. executive could display screen selected structures-of-interest devoid of a massive database of every outlet’s previous and latest body of labor.
DHS is so hungry for information in regards to the media it simply Goebbels it up
— Former FSO (@FormerFSO) April 6, 2018